Holiday Breakfast Recipes—Cranberry Orange Breakfast Bread and Apple Breakfast Lasagna
Cranberry Orange Breakfast Bread
Tart cranberries, citrusy orange and nutty pecans lend their flavors to this bread. Warm and moist, toasty and dotted with real cranberries and nuts, these are just the bread you want to wake up to on cold December mornings.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yield: one 9x5x3-inch loaf
- ½ cup pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulate white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- ¾ cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Toast the pecans for about 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and coarsely chop.
- In a small bowl, combine the beaten egg with orange juice and vanilla extract.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and blend it into the flour mixture using two knives or a pastry blender. Fold the wet ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir in the chopped cranberries and chopped pecans. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack.
Apple Breakfast Lasagna
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: one 9x13-inch pan of lasagna
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 (9-oz.) package French toast
- ½ lb. boiled ham, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 1 cup granola cereal with raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, blend sour cream with sugar and chill. Place 6 slices of French toast in the bottom of the prepared baking pan.
- Layer the ham, 1 ½ cups of cheese and the remaining slices of French toast. Spread the apple pie filling evenly on top and sprinkle with granola cereal.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 5 minutes more to melt the cheese. Serve with the chilled sour cream mixture.
My Shopping List
There are no item in your list yet.
My Top Items
No items from favorite stores currently available.